24 Hr Advice 01707 382575

Financial help when you are caring for someone

This page is intended to give you some guidance. If you need further help and advice, you can contact our Welfare Benefits Advisor.

Carer’s Allowance

You may be able to get Carer’s Allowance if you are:

  • Spending at least 35 hours a week looking after someone getting either Personal Independence Payment (PIP) at either rate of the daily living component or DLA for personal care at the higher or middle rate or Attendance Allowance at either rate
  • Over the age of 16
  • Not working or if working you earn less than a prescribed amount and
  • Not a full time student.

It does not matter if you live with the person you care for, but if the person you care for lives alone check before you claim Carer’s Allowance because they may lose entitlement to some of their benefit. You can get Carer’s Allowance if you have a partner who is working.

If you are already getting State Retirement Pension, contributory Employment and Support Allowance, Incapacity Benefit or Bereavement Benefit you will not get Carer’s Allowance. However, it may still be worth claiming though because you may qualify for extra Income Support, Pension Credit, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Housing Benefit, Universal Credit or Council Tax Benefit because you have an underlying entitlement to Carer’s Allowance. Please speak to the benefits advisor to ensure you are getting everything you are entitled to.

Useful Telephone Numbers

You can claim Carer's Allowance in a number of ways. These include:

  • online at: www.gov.uk
  • By phoning the Carer's Allowance Unit on 0345 608 4321 or by textphone on 0345 604 5312.
  • By filling in a claim form in leaflet DS700 (or the form in leaflet DS700 SP if you get State Retirement Pension). You can get the leaflets from local benefit offices.