24 Hr Advice 07741 659155

Benefits & financial help when you are sick

Practical and financial problems can arise when someone is ill. There may be worries about unpaid bills, extra expenses, or reduced income, Isabel Hospice has a Benefits Advisor who is employed by Citizens Advice East Herts and is trained to help maximise income to patients and their families. The advisor can help you claim benefits and other income you are entitled to, this can be done either by telephone, a home visit or at one of the Day Hospices.

They can also provide advice on a variety of other problems including debt, employment and housing.
If you would like to speak to our benefits advisor, Call 01707 382500 and ask for a referral.
Citizens Advice East Herts logo

Useful websites and telephone numbers

For information on benefits and general advice:




To claim Employment and Support Allowance: Tel 0800 055 6688

To claim Personal Independence Payment: Tel 0800 917 2222

To claim Attendance Allowance: Tel 0345 605 6055

Benefits when you are sick

There are a number of sickness and disability benefits you may be able to get

The Benefits Advisor is available to help you get the financial help to which you are entitled. Below are details of some sickness and disability benefits you could be entitled to as a patient of Isabel Hospice:

  • Attendance Allowance, Personal Independence Payment, Disability Living Allowance
  • Benefits if you are unable to work through sickness
  • Other benefits and help if you are on a low income.

These benefits are not charity – they are your right.

We hope that the following information is clear, but if you have any questions or you need help getting any claim forms, please telephone the Hospice (01707 382500) and ask for a referral to the benefits advisor who will be happy to help you further.

Attendance Allowance (AA), Personal Independence Payment (PIP), Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Attendance Allowance is paid to people aged 65 and over who need help with personal care (i.e. help with washing, dressing etc.).

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is paid to people under 65 when they first claim and who need help with the tasks of daily living. There is also an additional mobility component of PIP if you have difficulty getting around. PIP will continue to be paid after age 65 if you get it before your 65th birthday. PIP replaced Disability Living Allowance (DLA) in 2013 for new claimants.

Some people already claiming DLA may continue to get it instead of PIP. However, a gradual transfer to PIP for these claimants is planned for the future. These benefits are tax-free and paid on top of any other benefits, sick pay or pensions you may be getting. They can also be paid if you are still working. Getting either AA, PIP or DLA may mean that you are automatically entitled to other benefits.

Special rules for claiming Attendance Allowance (AA), Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

There are special rules for people who have an uncertain future because of their illness and people referred for hospice care, whether as an outpatient or an inpatient. These mean that you may have an automatic right to be paid the highest rate of AA or enhanced rate for daily living of PIP or the highest rate of the care component of DLA. If you are not already getting the highest rates, please speak to your Hospice nurse to see if you would qualify and get a referral to our benefits adviser to help you make a claim.

Benefits paid if unable to work through sickness

Statutory Sick Pay

If you are employed but off sick you will be paid Statutory Sick Pay as part of your wages/salary for the first 28 weeks you are off work. You may also be entitled to Income Support or Universal Credit to top this up if you have a low income and savings under £17,000. When the Statutory Sick Pay ends you should claim Employment and Support Allowance from the Department of Work and Pensions.

Employment and Support Allowance

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) maybe paid if you are under pension age and unable to work because of illness and your statutory sick pay has ended or you are not entitled to it. Eventually Universal Credit will replace some claims for ESA, please check with the benefits advisor for more information.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit and compensation

If you have mesothelioma or another illness caused by contact with asbestos, you may be entitled to Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit and compensation, paid in addition to some of the benefits above. Please contact our benefits advisor.

Getting one of the benefits above, may mean you are entitled to further help and other benefits. Please contact our benefits advisor for more information concerning these and any listed below:

Carer’s Allowance

Income Support

Universal Credit

Pension Credit

Child Tax Credits/Working Tax Credits

Housing Benefit

Council Tax

Health Care Benefits